3R is an integral part of experimental research in the life sciences. We are committed to advancing the knowledge, the implementation and use of 3R principles as follows.
Key position statement
- All stakeholders in experimental research must be aware of 3R principles and their current implementation.
- 3R education needs to improve at all levels. This also includes the authorities/deciding bodies.
- 3R is not only relevant to researchers, but also to (strategic) decision takers, i.e. to everybody in all relevant organizations.
- Peer reviewers must be informed better about use, dissemination and quality control of 3R methods.
- We need to promote the awareness that good science includes today’s standards in reporting, 3R standards, etc.
3R related knowledge:
- 3R related issues must be an integral part of scientific publications.
- Methodology with potential impact on the 3R’s must be described in detail. Scientific journals should give sufficient space for description of methodology (e.g. according to ARRIVE-guidelines).
- Papers should include a “3R section” where 3R methods can be described and (more important) new 3R developments that occurred during current research project.
- A comprehensive database related to 3R technology is necessary.
Implementation strategies also requiring external input:
- More research needs to be done in 3R methods, the financial and regulatory support in particular for Refinement has to improve.
- We are committed to implement more 3R methods in our research but this must include additional funding schemes.
- We commit to review and to collaborate in the establishment of release guidelines of established and validated methods.
- We recommend the establishment of key performance indicators for the implementation of 3R principles.